Can you change or remove a name on my account?

We must legally list the name of the owner as shown on the property deed. If you have a change of ownership, marriage, divorce, death, or other change, you will need to legally have the deed changed in the Official Records of Jackson County, Oregon, for us to change the name on the account.

Why do you have the wrong mailing address for my account?

The District does everything it can to keep our records updated with current mailing addresses, however, it is ultimately the land owners’ responsibility to make sure you have notified the District office of any and all address changes.



What is the billing year for the irrigation charges?

The District is on a fiscal year which begins October 1st and ends September 30th but we do not bill our water users until February 1st of each year for the upcoming irrigation season.

How often am I billed?  When is the late fee applied and when does interest begin accruing?

The District does its annual billing on February 1st and the accounts are due by April 1st.  If the account is not paid in full by April 1st a one-time $25 late fee is added to each tax lot.

On May 1st, all accounts that were not paid in full by the end of April will begin to accrue interest charges and will continue to be charged on the 1st of each month thereafter. Regular statements will be mailed showing the new interest accrued and total balance owed until the account is paid in full.

What interest rate is charged on delinquent accounts?

The interest rate is 16% per annum which is calculated at 1.33% per month on the outstanding balance. The interest rate is set by State Statute and not by the District.

How can I pay my irrigation bill?

You can pay your irrigation charges using the following options:

By Cash, Check, Money Order or Cashier’s Check:

  • In person – Our office is located at 104 West Valley View Road in Talent, Oregon.
  • By mail – Please mail your payment to PO Box 467, Talent, Oregon 97540-0467.

The Talent Post Office does not deliver to businesses in downtown Talent so if you mail your payment to 104 West Valley View Road, it will be returned to the sender. 

  • Online bill pay from your bank. This option may be free – contact your bank for details.

By Debit/Credit or Electronic Check (E-Check):

We have partnered with Point & Pay to allow you to make payments using your VISA, Master Card, American Express and Discover Card or a direct debit to your bank account.  Since these payments are administered by a third party, there is a processing fee if you choose to use this service.  Talent Irrigation District does not collect or retain any portion of this fee.

The fees for this service are:

  • Debit/Credit – 3% of the transaction amount ($2.00 minimum)
  • Electronic Check – $2.50 flat fee

You can make payments-

  • Online on our website:
  • Over the phone – Please call 541-535-1529 M-F from 7:00AM to 3:30PM.

Can I make partial payments on my irrigation bill?

YES!  You can make payments on your irrigation bill. The District accepts any payment you would like to make, but keep in mind all balances due after April 1st are assessed a one-time $25 late fee and monthly interest charges continue to accrue on all unpaid balances.

The one exception of when the District will not accept payments is on those accounts that have been turned over to our attorney for foreclosure proceedings. Those accounts must be paid in full and are handled by our attorney for all billing inquiries.

I am not going to use the water this irrigation season, so why do I have to pay my bill?

Your bill, based on the number of acres you have water rights for, is not for the water you use, but for your portion of the administration, operation and maintenance, and Bureau of Reclamation Indebtedness of the entire irrigation system. Talent Irrigation District maintains and improves approximately 125 miles of canals year-round, that delivers water to 16,300 acres of irrigated land each irrigation season. The District provides and maintains the infrastructure that delivers water to its users. This continual maintenance must be done whether you decide to use the water or not.

Do the irrigation fees increase every year?

The irrigation fees do not automatically increase every year. The District develops an annual budget to cover the expenses of all administration, Bureau Indebtedness, operation and maintenance of the system.  Some years there is no increase and others there is a slight increase to cover the ever-increasing costs for maintenance, labor, administration, etc. The increase from 2022 to 2023 was needed to help catch up for years of inflation that were not accounted for in prior fee increases. The increase from 2023 to 2024 was only $4 per acre.

What happens if I do not pay my irrigation bill by November 15th?

If your account is not paid in full by November 15th, you will have a lien placed on your property for the prior year irrigation charges and you will be charged a $335 lien fee. This additional fee is to cover the cost of preparing and recording the lien as well as preparing and recording the Satisfaction of Lien once the account is paid.  Once a property has 3 liens filed against it the account is turned over to the District’s attorney to begin foreclosure procedures.



When does the irrigation season start and end?

In an ideal situation, when the reservoirs are at full capacity, the normal irrigation season would run from April 15th to September 30th. The Board of Directors evaluates the annual snowpack, current water supply in all the reservoirs, the weather and the water needs of our water users and makes the call on the best possible date to start the season. If the weather continues to be cool and wet, the Board tries to delay bringing water down from the reservoirs to have it available longer throughout the summer. Once the Board decides to start the season, the staff updates the website and sends an email to all water users to let them know. Once the irrigation season officially begins, you will need to place a “Water Order” to get on the schedule for water delivery.

Each month during the irrigation season the Board monitors water supply levels, the weather and water usage and determines when we need to end the season. In an ideal situation there will be carryover left in the reservoirs to ensure a good water season the next year.

When will I get my water (Water Orders)?

Due to the limited size of the canal delivery system, not everyone can use the water at the same time, so the Ditch Riders rotate the water use among the water users to try to ensure the water quantities are as equitable as possible and the water is available when needed and it is not wasted.

To get on the water delivery schedule you need to place a “Water Order” by calling the District office at least forty-eight (48) hours before you want to start using it for the season. The District will make every effort to deliver water within twenty-four (24) hours of the time requested, but some delays may occur. Your Ditch Rider will add your request to their schedule and let you know when it is your turn to use water. Your Ditch Rider will give you more specific information based on your unique needs.

No standing orders will be permitted. No orders of more than two days prior to the requested delivery date will be honored, except orders on Friday for Monday.

Water orders shall be called to the District’s office at 541-535-1529 Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

How much water am I allowed to use?

We have a limited amount of water in our system to use each year. In order to deliver an equitable amount of water to each of our water users, each user has a limited amount of water they have access to each irrigation season.  If we have a full water supply, you have access to 2.65 acre feet per irrigation season, which equals approximately 3 inches every 14 days. If the water supply is not at capacity, water will be prorated per user.

Do I need to do anything when I am done using the water?

You will need to call the District office at least twelve (12) hours before finishing with the water on your rotation. The finishing hour should be such as to allow the Ditch Rider to give the water to another user in time for them to set up their irrigation or for the Ditch Rider to place the water back into storage.

Can I order water for frost control before April 1st?

The District’s water rights do not allow use of water for frost control. We also cannot make any water deliveries prior to April 1st.



Where does the irrigation water come from?

The District uses the water from the natural stream flows of several streams along with our reservoir system which includes Howard Prairie, Hyatt and Emigrant lakes.  A percentage of the water in the reservoir system is allocated to the Medford and Rogue River Valley irrigation districts.

Why is my canal head gate locked?

The District locks all canal head gates at the end of the irrigation season.  This is done due to liability issues during the winter months.

When will my canal head gate be unlocked?

The canal gates will be unlocked at the beginning of the irrigation season.  If your head gate has not been unlocked when you are ready to start using water, just give the office a quick call and we will contact the ditch rider and he will get it unlocked as soon as possible.

What is a ditch rider?

A ditch rider is an employee of the District who is responsible for the delivery of water to their section of the District’s canal delivery system.  This is the person who plans the water delivery schedules to each section of land owners in the District.  Due to the limited size of the canal delivery system, not everyone can use the water at the same time, so the ditch riders rotate the water use among the water users to try to ensure the water quantities are as equitable as possible to the water demand.

How do I get a hold of my ditch rider?

All water orders or messages for the ditch riders are to be called into the District office at 541-535-1529.  This way the office has a record of all calls.  The ditch riders do have cell phones but the office does not give out the cell phone numbers of any of our employees.  We want all calls to come into the office.  The ditch riders use their cell phones to contact water users after receiving requests to do so from the office.  All the ditch rider cell phone numbers come across as “private” or “blocked” so if you want to talk to them you need to accept the call.

Why is there not enough water in the ditch for me to irrigate during my irrigation rotation?

There are many reasons that the canals can be low on water.  The water flows through many miles of open canals and ditches with many factors affecting the water flows including the District removing moss in the canals which interrupts the water flow; private water right irrigators using the water; someone taking the water out of turn, etc. If you have a concern, you may call the District office at 541-535-1529.

Does the District use chemicals in the canal water to control the moss growth?

NO!  The District does not use any chemicals in the irrigation water, however it is important to remember that the water comes from creeks and lakes and flows through many miles of open canals and the District has no way of knowing what the canal water has been exposed to. We cannot make any guarantees of water quality.

Can I walk, ride bicycles, horses, four-wheelers, etc. on the canal roads?

NO!  The property where the ditches are located is owned by the private land owners and the District has an easement for its use for the operation and maintenance of the canal system.  You are trespassing on private property if you enter onto the canal roads for any purpose.

What is the Reclamation Reform Act (RRA)

The RRA requires that anyone who owns and/or leases 40 acres or more in an irrigation district under contract to the Bureau of Reclamation is required to submit reporting or certification forms before water delivery.  If you own and/or lease less than 40 acres in Talent Irrigation District but also own and/or lease land in another Bureau of Reclamation district (i.e. RRVID, etc.) with your total acres adding up to 40 or more, you will need to fill out reporting or certification forms.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you have any land ownership and/or lease changes that happen during the irrigation season a new RRA form is required to be completed and on file with the District ON or BEFORE the effective date of the change.  It is your sole responsibility to comply with the provisions of the RRA.  If you have any questions or need additional information please contact the District office.

Design: A Street Web Design